Fun fact: when I was five my mom taught me how to make the old macaroni n cheese that came in an infamously blue box. For years, I ate a box of that stuff at least once per week. It was my favorite kid food.
Fast forward to today; I've all but eliminated highly processed 'big food' from our life, with the exception of a guilty pleasure here and there. I've graduated to appreciate real, homemade macaroni 'n cheese. It is absolutely one of my favorite dishes; I make it in larger batches and never waste a spoonful.
The drawback is that Macaroni and Cheese is so addictive and tempting that our health can only afford it as an indulgence. So when Mama Ozzy submitted this recipe for our Recipe Contest Special episode, I was thrilled for the chance to indulge. Visit his site to see all the awesome, loving food he shares!
Oh, my, what an indulgent Mac n Cheese this is! Seriously off the hook. You MUST try it!
Mamma Ozzy's Smoked Gouda Mac 'n Cheese Recipe (Serves 2-4)
|Scroll down for family size measurements|
|Bacon Panko Topping:
|The Good Stuff:
Dietary Notes: Vegetarians - omit bacon, sub truffles if you can, Non-Pork Eaters - Try a bit of beef pastrami in place of bacon, Gluten Intolerance - sub wheat free noodles
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Fry bacon in a large skillet until crisp, remove to paper towels to drain. Add panko bread crumbs and 1/4 tsp salt and toast in skillet until golden. Remove from heat and crumble bacon into bread crumbs, toss to combine.
- In a large pot, melt 1/2 cup butter over medium heat. Once melted, add garlic and flour, whisk to combine, and cook for 2 minutes until bubbling.
- Add 1 cup milk and whisk to combine, then add remaining 4 cups of milk and cook over medium heat, whisking gently until sauce thickens.
- Add nutmeg, pepper and salt and whisk until well combined. Add grated cheese 1 cup at a time until all cheese is added and sauce is smooth. Remove sauce from heat.
- Prepare elbow macaroni according to package directions and drain thoroughly.
- Add macaroni to cheese sauce and mix to combine. (At this point the mixture will look like cheese soup with a few noodles in it. Do not worry, the pasta will absorb 90% of the liquid while it is in the oven).
- If smaller recipe, pour into 9x9 or equivalent sized pans, bake for 20-25 minutes. If family size, pour into 9x13 baking pan, top with panko crumbs and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to rest for at least 15- 20 minutes before serving.
Mamma Ozzy's Smoked Gouda Mac 'n Cheese - Original Family Size!
Bacon Panko Topping:
- 5 Slices Bacon
- 1 1/2 cups Panko
- 1/4 tsp Salt
The "Good Stuff"
- 1/2 cup Unsalted Butter
- 1/2 cup Flour
- 2 tsp Garlic, minced
- 5 cup Milk
- 1/4 tsp Nutmeg
- 1/4 tso Pepper
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 lb Smoked Gouda
- 1 lb Extra Sharp White Cheddar
- 1/2 cup Parmesean
- 1 lb Elbow Macaroni
Watch the episode:
Get the ultimate cookbook for two!
Compatible with any device, our interactive cookbook for two includes nearly 300 recipes from the show and is organized into 70+ menus that are scaled down for two. Each recipe links to the original episode so you can watch and learn | Learn more >